I’ve said many times that I live an unusually charmed life compared to many trans people, the majority of whom are not middle-aged, middle-class media freelancers. A new workplace survey of trans people by YouGov demonstrates that for those people, things aren’t great.
The study found:
- 65% of trans employees hide their trans status at work, up from 52% in 2016;
- 56% of trans employees aren’t out to their colleagues;
- 32% have experienced workplace bullying or insults from colleagues;
- 50% say they’ve concealed their trans status when looking for jobs;
- 25% have been socially excluded by colleagues;
- 27% have experienced discrimination or abuse from colleagues outside work;
- 6% have been physically abused or threatened in the workplace.
There are some small indications of positive progress, though. Of those people who are out at work:
- 51% said colleagues responded positively, up from 50% in 2016.
- 5% experienced a negative reaction from colleagues, down from 10% in 2016.