Interesting post by Alan at Broadstuff, reacting to the “Twitter is the future of news!” stuff going round the internet at the moment:
the bulk, the 90%, was pure cr*p, with stuff such as:
– Wild surmises to gain attention
– Re-tweeting mainstream media in an endless circle jerk
– Mediawhores jumping on the bandwagon with crocodile tears and faux sympathy
– Hatemail to the hatemailers
– People arguing with any or all of the above
…this was not news – it was a hose of sewage, in which the few nuggets of real news were virtually impossible to pick out.
By happy coincidence, I wrote a typically cheery column about the very same thing in the last issue of .net (it’s not online yet, sorry):
…More than anything, Iâ€™m tired of the sheer self-absorption of the electronic elite. This month theyâ€™re all twittering, so when something interesting happens they hear about it on Twitter, because of course thatâ€™s where they are. Within minutes, Twitter is the future of news! …If this time next month the technorati are drinking Special Brew with tramps and they see something interesting on a cardboard box, drinking Special Brew with tramps will be â€“ yes! â€“ the future of news!