My Morphy Richards coffee machine is a goddamn piece of crap

Back in June, I blogged about my coffee machine death toll: I’d killed three coffee makers in 2005, and didn’t hold out much hope for the fourth one. Sure enough, it burned out today – the same fault that knackered the last three. It’s clearly a design fault, but this time I will win because I have the receipt. Or at least, I think I have. It’s definitely somewhere. I think.

7 thoughts on “My Morphy Richards coffee machine is a goddamn piece of crap

1. Russ says:

One of the advantages of being in the Church of Later Day Saints (“Mormons”) is that you never suffer from a broken coffee machine. (I have heard)

As for Morphy Richards, even the name sounds like a fake day time live studio audience confession show where issues such as “I left my husband for a Lesbian Night Elf Lapdancer” are discussed. You should purchase something with a reliable, trustworthy name like “Russell Hobbs” or anything else with Russell in the name.

Finally on the coffee machine have you tried throwing it from an upstairs window onto the road.

I drink tea to avoid these problems :)

I hope these suggestions have both been useful and have made you feel better. If this is not the case then “oh”.

2. Derek says:

You don’t necessarily need the receipt Gary. I’m pretty sure you just need “proof of purchase”. If you used a debit or credit card to buy the coffee machine, then the transaction on your statement is enough for proof of purchase.

I once had such an argument with a salesman in the Carphone Warehouse who seemed to think he was above the law and that I needed a receipt.

3. Russ says:

good point, proof of purchase is the usual requirement.

These Carphone Warehouse guys are very clever though I must admit :)

Neither receipt nor proof of purchase – i prefer paying cash to credit cards. So I bought a new one – a kenwood, this time – and grudgingly paid the extra tenner for 3-year cover. The documents for which I’ll try not to lose this time.

The kenwood’s great – the coffee’s like a cross between tar and acid. That’s a Good Thing.

5. David says:

If this is a design fault then you shouldn’t need to invoke the insurance. Trading standards and all that.

If it happens with coffee machines made by lots of different manufacturers, you’d have a tough time proving design fault over wear and tear.

Interestingly, under Scottish law, a reliable witness may be used to establish proof of purchase, and your spouse counts as a reliable witness. I very much doubt that anyone would ever win that point, but it might be fun trying.