This is a plug

I made a thing!

So here it is: my debut novel, shiny and new on the Kindle store (or at least, the UK one. The US one needs another couple of days).

I’ve set up a page to talk about it without filling the entire front page of this site, but put it this way: it’s a scientific fact that people who buy Coffin Dodgers are better dancers, better lovers, better drivers and better all-round human beings than the rest of the population. If you fancy telling other people about that, I’d be very grateful.икони

24 thoughts on “This is a plug

That’s the same ePub I uploaded to Amazon last night. Earlier versions had space at the footer, I think. Want me to email it?

2. rnnbrwn says:

No, I mean on the Kindle. I can’t remember how to view the book cover; I only see it like this.

On a side note, you’re right about the bottom of the cover; I had to move things about when completing the larger resolution and don’t think it’s placed quite as nicely as the original one. I can redo, if you like?

3. gary says:

Ah, ok, it’s a bit weird – you go to the beginning then hit the page-back button two or three times. That takes you to the contents and then to the cover. I have no idea why.

I did a quick crop last night that seems to have got rid of the bars. Ta for the offer though.

4. MupwaNgle says:

That seems normal behaviour for kindle books. It seems to jump past the cover most times.

Does look good in BW too.

5. Hunnymonster says:

So.. since this came out I’ve bought a Kindle (well not with actual money… more a case of diverting Clubcard vouchers really), downloaded the sample and now bought the eBook.

Jeez Gary, would have been cheaper to just buy you a pint really.

I have thought about it – I’ve got the kit – but I’m not sure I could do a decent job of it. I worry about doing characters’ voices, and fear the idea of doing ten million takes of every paragraph.

Am I being unnecessarily doomy?

7. Hunnymonster says:

Give it a go with one chapter… not sure the character voices are entirely necessary – Martin Jarvis reads zillions of audiobooks and he’s Martin Jarvis for every character. (I’d say other audiobook readers are available but I think he’s actually cornered the non-Harry Potter market in reading audiobooks)

audiobook != radio play

Yeah, that’s true, but it’s still an incredibly time-consuming process. I’ve toyed with it in the past – I’ve had some half-arsed ideas about podcasting at various times – but even after getting over the “feeling like a dick” vibe of talking to yourself, I make so many mistakes that just getting a paragraph out takes the best part of a fortnight :)

It’s also quite hard to get the necessary peace and quiet: I don’t really have time during the day, the wee one’s bouncing around from late afternoon and when she’s asleep I can’t record because the office is next door to her room. It’s not an ideal recording setup.

Behold the power of blogs and social networking: as of this morning, I’ve sold fifty copies in the UK. In the US, where nobody has the slightest idea who I am, I’ve sold three :)

10. hunnymonster says:

Well obviously the jazz bit can fail to make the final cut, but we both know how much she loves the idea of jazz :D

I’ve just had an update from Smashwords: the various ebook versions are starting to go out to Barnes and Noble, Apple, etc. Timescale looks like this:

B&N – about 2 weeks
    Sony – 3 weeks
    Kobo – 3 weeks
    Apple – about a week
    Diesel – couple of days
    Scrollmotion – no idea, never heard of it

Come to think of it, given that at one point it was number 40 in Amazon’s fiction > humour chart, I could legitimately brand it THE AMAZON BESTSELLER.

Like a dick :-D