OMG Beatles on iTunes!!!!

Sherlock Holmes would be proud.

• Apple is having a UK press event on 18 Sept.
  • Everyone knows the UK is getting an iPhone announcement in Sept.
  • The invite says “Mum is no longer the word” – ie, it’s about talking.
  • It’s a UK-only event so it’s a UK-only product.

What could Apple possibly be announcing? Yes! Beatles on iTunes!

*bangs head off desk*

I really need to stop reading the comments sections of tech blogs.

Incidentally, when the Beatles finally do turn up on iTunes… so what? Who cares?

13 thoughts on “OMG Beatles on iTunes!!!!

1. Ben says:

Some people simply don’t listen.

You could bang their face on the table and have a troupe of cheer-leaders saying “They are launching the fcuking iPhone” and it wouldn’t make any difference.

2. Andi Newnham says:

I’d be excited about Beatles on the iTunes, if I didn’t hate iTunes with such a passion. Not sure why I’d be excited seeing as I already have all the albums, but I’m sure I would be.

That’s what I don’t understand – over the years the beatles catalogue has been on every format, so any beatles fan will have it all on vinyl, cd or a combination of the two. Why care about the chance to buy it all again in an inferior format?

Nokia and Sony should make adverts about that.

It’s not an Apple decision, it’s an RIAA decision. Basically Apple can’t have ringtones if it doesn’t accept the RIAA’s conditions. Which is why I don’t imagine any future software updates will do anything to disable the free ringtone makers that are already flourishing.

On a related but completely different note, the canadian RIAA equivalent is lobbying for the end of a copyright levy on blank media, which it lobbied successfully for a few years back. Turns out the levy, if applied to hard disks – which they wanted it to – makes P2P entirely legal. Ho ho ho etc.

Meanwhile, Universal have been on the mushrooms:

a file-sharer downloads a UMG track from another file-sharer with a licensed ISP, they would be presumably be OK – but if it’s a non-UMG track, then they’re liable for a steep fine. And what if UMG tracks make their way to a user whose ISP isn’t a TotalMusic subscriber?

> Basically Apple can’t have ringtones if it doesn’t accept the RIAA’s conditions.

I get that, but why aren’t the RIAA succeeding in stopping every other phone manufacturer in the world from allowing their phones to play audio files as ringtones? Are APPle simply the only firm not to have told the RIAA to fuck off, or did the RIAA not try it with the other firms for some reason?

Spoke too soon. iTunes 7.4.2 nobbles ’em, for now at least.